Tuesday, November 11, 2008

More Peace Corps

During the campaign, President-elect Barack Obama spoke about the importance and need for a renewed sense of volunteerism among Americans. To that end, he proposed doubling the size of Peace Corps by the organization’s 50th anniversary in 2011. Currently there are over 7,800 volunteers serving in 76 countries around the globe, and since Peace Corps’ inception in 1961 there have been over 195,000 volunteers present in 139 countries.

At the beginning of the year, the National Peace Corps Association (NPCA) launched the More Peace Corps campaign to raise support for a revamped and doubled Peace Corps. Given that the Saturday Night Live “More cowbell” sketch is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear More Peace Corps, I personally would have chosen a different campaign slogan. But I was not consulted.

And I also do not agree that simply doubling Peace Corps is the best way to make it more effective. But I do firmly believe in the ideals and goals of Peace Corps, and I support the efforts to raise awareness and interest in the organization. Through the More Peace Corps campaign, the NPCA has written a petition to President-elect Obama asking him to uphold his promises of strengthening Peace Corps. If you have been following my Peace Corps experience through my blog or those of any other volunteers, please take the time to sign the petition and show your support for Peace Corps.

No comments: