Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Not So Great Expectations

Training above all else was a lesson in realism. Mixed in between learning how to say, “Help me! I’m bleeding,” in Spanish and not to throw tortillas to dogs (while seemingly a brilliant solution to rid oneself of a stack of the unwanted staple, this is apparently very offense to Mayans), we were constantly told not to expect to see much results from our service. Before anyone starts contacting his congressman about the ineffectiveness of Peace Corps, I should note that this ‘warning’ if you will is a much-needed reminder for all new volunteers.

Like many others working in development, we (I am speaking for all Peace Corps Volunteers here and am fully aware I am overstepping my bounds) come to our countries as a bit of idealists, whether we would like to admit it or not. We have college degrees and great ideas and are just itching to save the world. However, over time dealing with that unpredictable factor called the human being, a large portion of those in the development world become jaded. The people you are trying to help don’t care or don’t know what they really need as much as you do (because Americans always know best…that’s sarcasm). Cultural differences lead to misunderstandings and slow, if not no, progress. Locals see you as a big dollar sign and expect things to be given to them without any effort of their own.

Knowing what lies ahead, holding onto idealism can only lead to a miserable and frustrating experience that has the propensity to be frustrating even without it. To that end, snuffing any idealist tendencies might very well be the most important function of training. It is all about preparing us to go to our sites with controlled, realist expectations (I know, Jenna, me and my ‘expectation theory’). That said, regardless of however frustrating working here might get or however many times I might contemplate quitting, I am ready to give the next two years helping to improve the quality of life for a group of women weavers here in Tactic. And I am sure in the process I will be changed as much, if not more, than the women with which I am working.

4 comments:

Jenna said...

This is my favorite post so far.. very kate-like, like i'm REALLY reading your thoughts. Me gusta.

Anonymous said...

Keep the main thing...the main thing. You are there and few others ever dare live out their idealism! Go Kathryn...make a difference!

Anonymous said...

Without idealists then we are all jaded. I wouldn't have stayed in public education if I had lost the idea that I could...just maybe change a life. Please let me know what your expectation theory is. And remember, life is calling!

Kelly's dad

B. said...

My expectation theory is something I borrowed from marketing and apply to all life situations. When bringing a new product to market you have to be careful not to promise too much, because then people's expectations will be too high and consequently let down. At the same time you have to build a little hype for the product or no one will want to buy it in the first place. It is about creating healthy expectations that still leave a little room to be pleasantly surprised. With perfection as my base of comparison, I am always having to remind my myself to set realistic healthy expectations to keep from always being disappointed. This blog entry was like my reminder to myself, although I am secretly hoping to make a big impact in the lives of these women. I can't help it...I am an idealist, although a pragmatic one:)