Thursday, July 12, 2007

Tactic

In the states, were you considering moving to a new city it would be a rather long process of weighing job options, researching homes and neighbors, checking crime rates and available services, etc. In contrast Peace Corps’ version of moving is visiting an assigned site for three days to secure housing for the next three months, to meet the important officials in town, to introduce yourself to the people in the organization with which you will be working, and to locate the nearest helicopter landing pad…all conducted in a foreign language.

Fortunately with the assistance of a very helpful volunteer in the site (thank you Anna!), the short visit went extremely well, and I am very excited to be spending my Peace Corps experience in Tactic, Alta Verapaz (despite the “security risk”, I have decided I don’t want to refer to my location as “my site” for the next two years).

Settled in a valley at 4,800 feet amongst the mountains of Sierra de Chamá, Tactic (pronounced tack·teek) is situated on the highway from Guate to Coban. It is a small town of about 5,000 people whose inhabitants are mainly Poqomchí speaking Mayans. There is running water, electricity, a post office, frequent transportation, a fairly large market, and a plethora (yes, I know what that word means) of internet cafes. Tactic even has a “water park” of sorts called Chamché, which is fed by a fresh spring flowing out of the mountains. However, with an annual average temperature of 68˚ in an area where it is said that it rains 13 months out of the year (when it is not raining there is “chipi-chipi” [drizzle]), I don’t think I will be swimming that often. The abundance of rain gives life to an absolutely gorgeous landscape with vegetation ranging from banana trees to pine trees all a vibrant almost neon green color.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I am going to be working with an association of Poqomchí indigenous women weavers called Nu’Kem. There are about 150 women in the association with the majority of them living in about seven small aldeas surrounding Tactic and Tamahú. The women use a traditional back strap loom to make a variety of woven products to sell to tourists, including placemat settings, pillow covers, bedspreads, purses, table runners, shawls, and scarves. I was extremely impressed with the items they are already making and am excited to venture into new products. My job will be to find them new markets in Guatemala and overseas as well as to teach them business and administration skills. During my visit, I had the opportunity to meet with the board of directors of the association and also visit a few of the weavers out in the aldeas. The women seem as excited to have me there, as I am to be there. In a little more than a week, I will move out to site and get to work!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kate-

I feel so bad for the poor dogs!I couldn't even look at the picture. Besides the cruel practices, your site does sound like it will be perfect for you. Hopefully there will be more pictures of the bananas and fewer pictures of dead animals. :) Hope you are having a wonderful time!!

-Lauren

Unknown said...

Kate

I'm interestedin the women's coop in Tactic. Is there anyway of seeing photos of their work for sale on the net ?

Thanks, Bianca
bgscouts@cox.net