Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Calor Humano

As a result of a terrifying white water rafting accident last month, a fellow PCV ended up in the hospital in the capital after being transported there by plane. I went to see him, and during my visit I picked up one of the hospital’s promotional pencils.


Herrera Llerandi’s slogan is “Le cuidamos con calor humano,” which I find amusing (like most things). It literally means, “We care for you with human heat.” Sounds a little shady. Actually I would prefer to be cared for with highly qualified doctors and cutting edge technology, but maybe I am just an anomaly.

But this is an instance where a literal direct translation fails. “Calor humano” carries more of a meaning of “kindness” as opposed to “human heat.” And it’s good to know that the folks at Herrera Llerandi are caring with kindness as opposed to killing with it.

No comments: