Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Nuevo Cachorro

I am taking care of another puppy, and it is looking like I am going to become his permanent owner. My dog, Mapache (Spanish for Raccoon), was the only puppy that wasn’t sold from the litter. The style for this breed is a cropped tail, and when Mapache had is tail cut off, he got an infection. My friend thought he was going to die, so he didn’t sell him. But Mapache pulled through and now is a rambunctious, healthy puppy.

I was mistaken in my post about the two other puppies I took care of. They are not pitbulls, they are Dogo Guatemaltecos, a breed also referred to as Guatemalan Bull Terrier. I had never heard of the Dogo Guatemalteco breed before, so I did little internet research and came across this description from the National New and Rare Breed Association (NNRBA):

The Guatemalan Bull Terrier was created and developed in the 1930's by Hector Montenegro. The exact breeds that comprise it are sketchy due to the fact that he took his secrets to the grave in 1994. The debate still goes on today of the exact breeds that were used.

Research, from speaking to long time breeders and fanciers in the Guatemalan area have revealed what the dog might have been originally composed of. It is said that it started with The Fighting Dog Of Cordoba, a double dose of Bull Terrier, Boxer, Dalmatian and Dogue De Bordeaux. These dogs were bred for the sole purpose of guard duty and defense. The Cordoba and Bordeaux gave the breed great strength, determination and courage. Boxer was added for intelligence and trainability. Dalmatian attributed a tremendous ability for endurance, and Bull Terrier added an absolutely fearless personality and tenacity. By doubling up on Bull Terrier the white coat color was locked in.

I assume the guard dog mentality must come with age, because Mapache shows no such tendencies right now. He is super playful and loves being around people. I have been taking him with me when I go the gym in the afternoons to do activities with the kids and whenever I have to run any errands. Supposedly this breed is “leery of all strangers,” and to prevent that trait, I want him to be accustomed to being around new people.

The NNRBA website goes on to say later that a Dogo Guatemalteco that “will not defend the home is considered a totally useless dog. Because of high crime and corruption in Guatemala the dog must defend the home at all costs.”

How is a dog going to defend against corruption? If that is the case, I wish I had Mapache when I worked for Nu’Kem.

Mapache is the polar opposite of his two siblings that I took care of for a couple of days. They were very timid and barely ventured away from the pillow I set up for them to sleep on. Mapache, on the other hand, loves exploring. He also loves biting and chewing on anything and everything, including my face. We are working on that.

Unfortunately Mapache also has a fondness for chasing indigenous women. Their cortes hang right at the level of his little face, and he can’t resist the temptation of chewing on them. Countless times I’ve had to pull him out from between the legs of an unsuspecting woman profusely apologizing all the while.

To try to avoid that situation, I just purchased him a collar and a chain. He absolutely hates them. In complete refusal to walk attached to a chain, he will lie down on his stomach with both his front and back legs outstretched. I have to drag him until I feel terrible about dragging a cute puppy and then I pick him up to carry him.

Having a puppy is quite a bit of work, involving a lot of pee and poo clean-up (even though he still urinates anywhere he has the urge, he has learned to go outside to poop…should that be owed to the Boxer influence?) and near constant vigilance to ensure that he is not chewing on power strip cords, furniture, and my shoes. But the chubby little guy is definitely worth the effort. I mean, just look at that face.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Motherhood becomes you, Kate, but
don't be such a push-over.

Christy said...

I want a puppy! This post made me laugh.

B. said...

I am not a push-over!...or at least I am trying not to be. I have been putting Mapache in "time-out" (alone in the bathroom) when he is being too aggressive. And I've got him walking on a leash (found a halter in Antigua that works much better than a collar). Poco a poco I am training him.