Thursday, July 9, 2009

AV Rap

I spent this past weekend in Antigua for the yearly Peace Corps 4th of July party. I must say after having planned the 200+ person bash along with the All Volunteer Conference the year before, it was much more enjoyable to just show up to the event instead of being in charge of it.

One of the staple activities at the party is the volunteer talent show. I am surprised by how many talented PCVs there are in Guatemala (myself not included in that number). Someone did a Michael Jackson tribute, there was a spoken word performance, and a fiddle/acoustic guitar duo performed a rendition of the rap song, “The Next Episode,” among other acts. But by far, the best and most original performance was that by Pan Dulce.

Pan Dulce and his Goon Squad are a group of volunteers from Alta Verapaz who have the talent of mixing Peace Corps lingo with Chapinisms to produce very entertaining raps (entertaining, that is, if you understand what they are talking about). I didn’t get this year’s performance on film, (and it would have been too risqué for the PG level of my blog) but I do have an edited copy of last year’s “Chicharron.”


1 comment:

Ixpata said...

That AV Rap was awesome! I will share it with my wife. She is an RPCV. She worked at Rabinal, Baja Verapaz. I'm sure she will enjoy it.
Saludos.