Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Take Charge

One of my favorite things in basketball is taking charges. From the outset of a game, I start analyzing players to identify those whose style of play would make them prone to commit an offensive foul. Since we had already played against Rubel Chaim numerous times, I already knew the best way to defend against Mimi (the best player from that team) was to take a charge because she aggressively attacks the basket.

I had been trying to convince the girls on my team to do the same. “Solamente tenés que parar en su camino y aguantar el golpe. No lo duele mucho.” But the girls (and everyone else in the league) have an aversion to purposely taking a beating, so when Mimi is going strong to the hoop, they all just get out of the way.

Not I. I see Mimi barreling down the lane as a perfect opportunity to put my body between her and the basket and take a charge. And such an opportunity presented itself during the championship game…



(Because this was shot in widescreen, it looks better on Youtube. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB54fCoF5uE)

8 comments:

B. said...

Okay, I just realized because it is in widescreen, it looks a lot better on Youtube. Part of it gets cut off on my blog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB54fCoF5uE

Ixpata said...

Hay! Eso parede que duele mucho. Que valentia!

B. said...

I don't know about being a "bad ass," but doing that really did give me a sore ass.

No pain no gain...winning is everything:)

Unknown said...

You faked it... she didn't hit you THAT hard, you were looking to flop the whole way!
Well done sister.

B. said...

That was no flop boy! She lowered her shoulder and rammed me.

Nancy S. said...

Should we start calling you Vlade? :)

B. said...

I am not a flopper dammit!!

B. said...

I just found out that Mimi was two months pregnant at the time of the championship game...so actually I got plowed over by two people.