Monday, May 25, 2009

The Degreed Ms. Griffin

In Guatemala less than 3% of the population has a college degree (that is a conservative estimate…it is probably less). The majority of the people who are college educated live in and around the capital, so out in the “campo” like Tactic that percentage is even lower.

In the US an undergraduate degree has basically become a minimum requirement for most jobs, but here it is a huge achievement that brings with it a lot of respect. It is such a big accomplishment that it is noteworthy to put on a business card and to announce when presenting yourself to new people. Although it is culturally appropriate, I would feel ridiculously pretentious ever saying, “Soy la Licenciada Kathryn Griffin (I am the degreed Kathryn Griffin),” to someone I just met, but I do have it written on my business cards.

The reaction I get (especially among men) when I present my business card is that of awe. How does a woman so young (because of the cost of going to college many people work and only take classes one day a week so it takes a long time to finish a degree) have her degree? Then I am expected to know everything.

Have you ever performed brain surgery before?

No, but I am degreed.

Great. Here’s the scalpel.

No comments: