Thursday, April 16, 2009

Kathryne

My spelling of the name Kathryn isn’t the most prevalent variant in the states, but it exists. Here in Guatemala it is completely unheard of and confusing. Although it is not terribly common, the name Kathryn itself is used in Guatemala but always spelled as “Catherine” or “Katherine.”

Whenever I say my name to someone who is writing it down for a receipt or something else I always spell it out and the person always writes it wrong. Most often when I start saying, “K” the person immediately scribbles down a “C” followed by “A-T-H-E-R-I-N-E.”

“Like this?”

“Yeah, that is fine.”

Or if I am lucky enough to get someone started with a “K,” I always lose him/her after the “T.” He/She ends up writing “Katarin” (the way my name is pronounced) or “Katherine.”

I used to try to correct people but quickly realized it was a futile exercise. Guatemalans' brains are hardwired to spell Kathryn in a certain way and attempting to change that is just more trouble than it is worth.

The other day I made a purchase at a bakery in town, and the employee proceeded to write me out a receipt. It started the same old routine.

“My name is Kathryn and it is spelled K-A-T-H-R”

The employee wrote down K-A-T-H and stopped. She looked up at me confused.

“You mean ‘E’ right?”

“No.”

“Are you sure it is ‘R’ instead of ‘E’?”

“Yes. R-”

The employee hesitantly wrote down an “R.”

“Y-N”

“‘Y’?”

“That’s right. Y-N”

Even more apprehensive than when she added the “R,” the employee finished off my name with “Y-N.”

Kathryn.

I couldn’t believe it. In my nearly two years in Guatemala, it was the first time that someone actually listened to me and spelled my name correctly! My feelings of accomplishment and satisfaction were short-lived however. Sensing something amiss about my name, the employee decided to put an “E” on the end.

Kathryne.

So close. But I guess it is better than having a receipt written out to “Gringa.”