Saturday, August 30, 2008

Disillusioned

What am I doing here?

Since July of last year, I have answered that question in countless emails and introductions with basically the same canned response, “I’m a Peace Corps Volunteer working with an association of indigenous women weavers in and around Tactic, Alta Verapaz, Guatemala.” But now I don’t know the answer to that question. Now I am just a Peace Corps Volunteer…

This is my blog, and I have the freedom to divulge the details of my split from Nu’Kem, but I am not going to. So I’ll resort to the ambiguous language of divorces and site “irreconcilable differences” as the reason for my departure from the association. I had poured myself into Nu’Kem, and although problems had been subtly arising, I never thought it would come to the point that I would have to leave. It was an agonizing decision full of tears, anger, disappointment, frustration, and sadness. But unfortunately it was a decision I was forced to make. Now because of the selfish and unethical actions of a few in places of power, Nu’Kem is left without my assistance. And I am left disillusioned.

No comments: