Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Me gustaría presentarles a Tonto

I bought a turkey two weeks ago. I named him Tonto (as in “wild one” in Pottawatomie not “silly” in Spanish). I am going to kill him in 15 days time for Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays (coming in a close second behind Groundhog Day). Every year my family makes the trek down to Oklahoma to spend Turkey Day with relatives. Steeped in tradition, the festivities begin the night before with marathon games of Monopoly, Risk, and Civilization. Thanksgiving day is kicked off with endless photo sessions (including the infamous ‘grandchildren on the steps’ photo that we continue to take even though someone else is now living in my deceased Grandmother’s house), followed by the mid-morning Griffin Family Football Game in which rarely a year passes that someone is not left bleeding and/or immobile. The Griffin Family Paintball War usually rounds out the activities the next morning (Yeah, my family is just a little competitive).

But here in Guatemala, my surrogate Peace Corps family will have to do. My training group is gathering for El Diá de Gracias here in Tactic at a cabin in the woods. And it is for this reason that I have Tonto.

Since I haven’t the slightest idea of how to care for a turkey, Tonto is currently happily residing at the house of Olivia, a weaver in my association. I make random visits to check on his wellbeing and increase our rapport. He knows I am going to eat him soon and seems well resigned to that fact. We have an understanding.

My mom thinks it inhuman to kill this turkey, especially after giving it a name. She suggested I leave it up to a vote to decide whether Tonto will become Thanksgiving dinner or have his life spared. But there shall be no vote. Tonto’s fate is sealed. I see it as a sort of Peace Corps rite of passage to at least one time slaughter the animal I am going to later eat. The only question that remains is which method of killing I am going to employ: twisting his neck, ripping out his tongue, or chopping off his head. I prefer the latter, pero vamos a ver.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Kate, how your blogs make me laugh! They are so informative and fun at the same time. I showed the kiddos the picture of the turkeys. They want to know if one of those is Tonto, or if they are just random turkeys? Also, Bryson says you should cut the head off for sure. Exact quote, "There would be A LOT more blood. That's cool." Oh the joys of raising a boy. (be on the lookout for a envelope with Flat BRyson. He is on his way home from Hawaii). Glad all is going well with you!

Tiffany

ashleigh said...

Kate, Tonto definitely needs to be eaten for Thanksgiving. What is Thanksgiving without the turkey? I do agree with your mother that it would be hard to kill said turkey after naming it...so, go with the quickest, least painful manner of extermination.

B. said...

Bryson and I have similar lines of thinking:) Tonto is the black one in the middle.

Flat Bryson will get to see a good bit of Guatemala and maybe even Belize too if he arrives in time:)

kelly montoya said...

Kate - Well, my vote of course is to spare Tonto´s life. Think of how much more joy he will bring to your life alive over the next 2 years rather than providing some calories for one little meal... :)However, i´m not sure my vote counts since i can´t come to your t-day celebration up in the cabin... :( But, it´s not going to be too bad on the lake with Mosiah´s mom.

Unknown said...

Well, that was the wrong button to click...

Anyway, we'll miss you this year at Thanksgiving (although I doubt you'll miss the picture taking too much). Enjoy eating Tonto!!!

B. said...

Oh, Kelly, I am so sorry to hear that you are Mo aren't coming! I'll see you guys at Reconnect though.

PS. Your "no" vote is double void given the fact that you don't eat meat:)

Anonymous said...

Having had the benefit of growing up on a farm and actually partaking in the beheading of many a chicken, I can only imagine your facial expression when the actual killing takes place - it's not a sight for the faint of heart nor is the plucking a pleasant experience...rather odorous if my memory serves me correctly. Furthermore, I never, ever named them; petted yes, named no - too personal. Have a "Tonto" memorable Thanksgiving Kate:)

Anonymous said...

Rip out its tongue?! What is wrong with you kate?! and how would that kill it... am curious now. Wish i could be there, i'd be of great service i'm sure... making thanksgiving margaritas! ole.
jenna